Schools with 21 or more English Learners have a functioning English Learner Advisory Committee that provides parents of EL students opportunities to:
- Advise the principal and school staff on the school’s program for ELs
- Advise the School Site Council (SSC) on development of the Accountability Plan
- Assist with the development of the School wide Needs Assessment
- Review the R-30 Language Census
- Receive information and recommend actions to support regular school attendance
- How are students identified as English Language Learners?
When students are enrolled in school, parents fill out the Home Language Survey. If any other language other than English is listed, students will be tested with the California English Language Development Test (CELDT) test and placed in the category level of language acquisition.
To contact Gunderson’s English Learners Advisory Committee:
- San José Unified Parent Resources
San José Unified is an open-minded partner, committed to establishing a positive, collaborative relationship with every family. We’re proud to provide unique opportunities and resources for families to engage with and participate in elevating opportunities for your students.