Gunderson High

Academic Counselors

Please call (408) 535-6340 or email your child’s counselor to make an appointment

Academic counselors and support program staff are located in the Library’s College and Career Center. They provide academic guidance and assist students with exploring post-secondary options to help them become college and career ready.

Jacklyn Pomele
Academic Counselor/G Plus
alpha: (A-Gol)
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Ms. Pomele is out Fall, 2022.

Please contact:
Ms. Winn A-CAR
Ms. Lopez CAS-GOL

Patricia Lopez
Academic Counselor/G Plus
alpha: (Gom-Pa)
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Patricia Lopez is our Academic Counselor, working with 9-12th grades students.

Angel Winn
Academic Counselor/G Plus
alpha: (Pe-Z)
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Angel Winn is our Academic Counselor working with 9-12th grade students.

Support Program


Shenir Dennis
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Shenir Dennis is our resident DCAC advisor for the 2023-2024 school year and will provide college advising support for all students 9th to 12th grade.
Office location is in Library Room D.


College and Career Center

Gunderson students can access current College and Career information through Canvas. If you need help finding the information, please contact your Academic Counselor.


College Entrance Exams & Other News

SAT/SAT Subject Test Registration:

Official SAT Practice for the redesigned SAT by Khan Academy (FREE):

ACT Registration

Smarter Balanced Assessment

Top Top

College Information

Applying to College

California Community College (CCC)

California State University (CSU)

University of California (UC)

Private/Independent Universities:

Majors at Public CA Community Colleges, UC, and CSU

Public and Private Colleges and Universities

Match Majors with Careers​

NCAA Information on the Eligibility Center’s COVID-19 response is available at

Athletic Eligibility (NCAA)

Paying for College


Financial aid from the state that does not have to be repaid.


Free money students can receive from different organizations by filling out applications.


Borrowed money from the school or private institutions with varying interest rates that needs to be repaid.

Work Study

work program through which you earn money while going to school in order to help you pay.

The FAFSA is a federal form students need to fill out in order to be eligible for federal financial aid.

Students can also go to FAFSA4caster to estimate their eligibility for federal student aid!

AB 540 Students

Financial aid information for AB 540 students: Educators for Fair Consideration (E4FC) and the California Dream Act.

More Info…

Want more information about the different types of financial aid? Go to

College Documents


Scholarships 2023-2024

Click here


Taking Classes at Community College

Taking Classes at the Community College
Special Part-time Students for the Fall, Spring semester, or summer (11 units or less. Credit maximum may vary by college). See our District Credit for Outside Courses policy here.

Gunderson High School students seeking concurrent/dual enrollment will:

1 Meet with their GHS Academic Counselor to determine if the course(s) chosen are needed for high school credit. The student must meet the prerequisite requirements for the course.

2 Complete and submit the community college online application via cccapply. Create a CCC apply account, then complete the college application. Processing of the application may take 2-3 business days. An email will be sent to you from the college with your new community college student id number.

3 Gather the following documents:  a) unofficial transcript from your Infinite Campus account: Menu>Documents> San Jose Custom Transcript (b) Submit an SJUSD High School Outside Credit Approval form (see your Academic Counselor for the form); and (c) R-40, Concurrent Enrollment, or Special Admit form (obtain from college’s website. Visit links below). These 3 forms verify:

  • A list of courses that the high school approves students to take,
  • Recommendation and consent that the student is in good standing and has the ability and maturity to benefit from college-level instruction,
  • Notification to the high school Registrar’s Office of your intent to take community college course(s),
  • Signature of principal or designee indicating that no more than 5% of the high school’s students are attending the community college. (Ed. Code 76000.3i).

4 Send the completed R-40 or Concurrent Enrollment form to your Academic Counselor (with your college id #, course name and # discussed, student and parent signatures, etc.). Your Academic Counselor will sign and obtain an administrator’s signature for you (as long as you completed #‘s 1-3).

5 Register for courses. Student will take the completed R-40/concurrent enrollment form to the college’s Admissions & Records office in person to register for the course(s). During COVID-19 school closures, you will need to email it to them. Please look at the Community College’s website for instructions.

Upon completion of the community college course(s), students are responsible for requesting that an official college transcript be sent to Gunderson. Please send to:  Gunderson High School Registrar’s Office, 622 Gaundabert LN, San Jose, CA 95136

Community College courses are only required to be on your high school transcript if the course was pre-approved for high school credit.

Concurrent Enrollment Community Colleges:

San Jose City College
Evergreen Valley College
Mission College
DeAnza College



Community Service/Work

Community Service Guidelines and Time Sheet
Volunteer Match Website


©2023 San José Unified School District